This unique standard requires organizations to adopt a risk-based approach to their management of the environment, with the aim of ensuring environmental sustainability and constantly refining environmental performance in accordance to modern advances. ISO 14001 specifies requirements to allow organizations to achieve intended outcomes they set for their environmental management system.
Benefits of an Environmental Management System:
- Demonstrated due diligence by meeting regulatory and customer requirements, as well as community expectations and reputation
- Marketing advantage and enhanced company profile
- Mitigated risk and reduced environmental incidents
- More efficient use of resources and reduced waste
- Lower costs leading to increased profits
- Focused and motivated workforce and empowerment of employees
- Meeting altruistic and ethical obligations
- Easily integrated with other management systems.